Fix when you can, replace when you must… Outcomes.
Our Limar 951 Helmets
We’ll call this one a success. With four rides under my belt wearing my Limar 951 with the home made felt replacement liner, I’m very optimistic these inexpensive replacements will serve me well for some time to come.
Again, I wear a bandana between my head and helmet which does a great job of soaking up sweat and also works as an anti-chafing barrier to the helmet liner. So, thus far I’m seeing zero pilling or other surface wear on the felt. However, I can see where I need to add a little more velcro to the material on the left and right side of the helmet. Of course, that was true with the old helmet liner as well.
But, overall… we’ll be wearing these helmets for a few more years before they need to be replaced.
Sidi Shoe Part Replacements
This one was an aborted mission. As you may recall, after not wearing these shoes for a while, I returned from a recent ride and discovered the treads were disintegrating. For some reason I got it in my head that I needed to “save” these very old Sidi Dominators by stripping off the old treads and doing a glue & screw with some replacement treads as I did on my Frankenshoes I project.
I was able to get the soles scraped, sanded and prepped to receive the new replacement treads that I’d placed on order with “BikeBling.com” formerly BikePro.com out on the west coast. They were part of an order that also included a pair of Vittoria tires for the Bianchi and a bottom bracket derailleur cable routing guide.
Well about a week after placing the order I received a note that said my entire order was on hold due to a supply chain issue and back order on the Sidi Dragon replacement tread set. After attempting to reach the company via Email to cancel the back ordered part of the order using two different links and their contact email address only to have them bounce due to the server being full, and to have my phone calls go unanswered due to their voice mail being full, I finally found another Email link and just said cancel the entire order. My rationale was, no one really cared about customer support… which is become an increasingly bigger issue with these online firms. I noted that they should have either offered to (a) split the order and ship what was in stock the way 90% of the other firms who offer online sales treat orders where one of several items is no longer in stock (note, their website showed the soles were in stock when I placed the order), or (b) offered to modify the order to eliminate the backordered item and then shipped the other items. But, since they didn’t the order was cancelled. And, sure enough, there wasn’t a reach-back by BikeBling’s customer support staff to even attempt to ‘save’ the $90.00 part of the $140.00 order, they just sent a simple note, “Your order has been cancelled.”
By this time I’d discovered some other molded plastic parts of the shoes had started to disintegrate and while I was able to replace the molded plastic pieces with some scrap black vinyl leather material that I bonded to the upper halves, it became clear to me that I just needed to put these shoes out to pasture and begin using the original, somewhat newer Sidi Dominator “Frankenshoes” for off-road riding. After all, it won’t be too long until those shoes begin to fall apart from age.
Electronics: Computers and Such
As for my 11-year old Garmin Edge 705 that began to have “issues” with that I suspected were battery related, the replacement battery arrived last Wednesday. The installation was relatively easy and I also took some time to purge the GPS satellite data to eliminate some of the issues with how long it takes for the device to sync up with the satellite GPS signals.
Everything was great until Friday’s ride when the computer said “low battery” about 15 minutes into the ride. Given it had only been used for a couple hours on Wednesday, with a new battery it should have had plenty of battery life left for the short ride on Friday. So, I deep cycled the battery by giving it a full charge then turned it on and let it run until it was dead, followed by a full-recharge. After a 25-mile ride on Wednesday the battery was still showing 90% life remaining, so I’m thinking the deep cycle of the battery with a full charge was what it needed. So, this is a success as well.
Two out of three ain’t bad… and I could have saved those shoes but it was rather pointless and short sided. As much as I’d like all of these shoes to last forever, it’s not going to happen given all of the plastic parts they incorporate.