Over the past year I’ve created a few posts that have cataloged all of the tandems we’ve owned on this blog, as well as all of the motorcycle as well as all of the cars & trucks I’ve owned on my other blog.
I recently posted something on Facebook regarding all of the “old” bicycles that currently make up the pool of bicycles that I use for both road and off-road riding. What was of note that that most of them are built on high-end frames, hand-made in the U.S. by low-volume boutique builders, e.g, Calfee, Ventana, Dean, Erickson, Ritchey with a couple of Bianchi’s thrown in there. That prompted me to create a list of all of the bicycles that I’ve “owned” since childhood.
I thought about adding photos of each of these bikes — given that I actually have photos of most of them — but at least for the time being I’ve decided the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. So, at least for those of you who see this today, there isn’t an accompanying photo collection. Perhaps in time I’ll add them.
In closing, having recently visited a bike shop and seen the kind of money shops are asking for high-end, essentially mas-produced bikes made in Asia with price tags of $2,500 to $9.500 for single road and off-road bikes, I’m pretty sure those old late 1990’s hand-made frames I’m still riding will do just fine considering that the biggest limiting factor when it comes to performance, reliability and endurance is the motor… not the bike itself. Given that limitation, my old bike frames sporting a few replacement parts are more than up to the job of handling anything I can dole-out with my 60+ year old body.
- 1962 – Sister’s hand-me-down Schwinn Hollywood
- 1964 – New Schwinn Typhoon
- 1967 – New Schwinn Racer 3 spd.
- 1972 – New Araya Rex
- 1975 – New Raleigh Gran Prix
- 1983 – New Raleigh Gran Prix
- 1986 – Used 1984 Raleigh Prestige
- 1989 – New Kuwahara Cougar MTB
- 1992 – New Trek 2300
- 1993 – New Novara Aspen (for Debbie)
- 1996/7 – New Santana Arriva Tandem
- 1998 – New Pro Flex 857 F/S MTB (Son Has It)
- 1998 – New Erickson Signature Tandem
- 1999 – Used 1998 C’dale MT3000 MTB Tandem
- 1999 – New Erickson Signature (Still Have It)
- 1999 – Used 1997 Schwinn Peloton (for Debbie)
- 2000 – NOS* 1997 Ventana ECDM F/S MTB Tandem
- 2000 – NOS* Ventana Marble Peak F/S MTB (Still Have It)
- 2001 – Used 1998 Dean Castanza Ti (Still Have It)
- 2002 – New Ventana ECDM F/S MTB Tandem (Still Have It)
- 2002 – New Erickson Custom Travel Tandem
- 2003 – Used 2000 Ritchey Road Logic (for Debbie/Still Have It)
- 2003 – NOS* 1998 Bianchi TdF Replica (Still Have It)
- 2005 – New Bianchi Pista/Track Bike (Still Have It)
- 2007 – Used 1997 Calfee Tetra Pro (Still Have It)
- 2007 – New Calfee Custom Travel Tandem (Still Have It)
- 2008 – Used 1999 Calfee Luna Pro (for Debbie/Still Have it)
- 2012 – Used 2008(?) Performance Tandems – Triplet (Still Have It)
- 2013 – Used 2002 Dean Scout MTB (Still Have It)
* New / Old Stock