I just finished editing my second “test” video as I continue to come up the learning curve on my GoPro cameras and editing software. The subject matter was our local off-road trail, Allatoona Creek… a series of single track and double track/service roads about 5 miles from the house. The platform was my Dean Scout mountain bike, noting that I still need to coax Miss Debbie out onto the Ventana off-road tandem once the temps get a bit more reasonable per her standards. I think it was 45°F when I started out around 4:00 pm on Saturday.
This latest clip was shot using just a single camera — the Hero HD with the fuzzy lens spot — mounted on my helmet using a GoPro helmet strap mount. While the strap mount worked well on the road bike, on-road on single track riding a hard tail showed some weaknesses with that arrangement. More specifically, even when cinched-up tightly the camera / mount moved around a bit too much, making for both shaky and noisy video when riding over the trail chatter, e.g., roots, rocks and ruts. So, a little more homework on helmet mounting techniques is required.
As before, I tried to keep the video to around 1 minute. I figure it’s best to have a design standard in place as a forcing function around my editing, i.e., try to narrow the selection down to a few impactful clips vs. using long-playing clips that don’t hold interest. It makes it all a bit choppy, but again… I’m using these as part of a learning process. So, thank you for indulging me in this new “hobby”.