Well, the weather-guessers completely blew it yesterday, as it was clearly not the cloudy, rainy day they had predicted. So, all of the honey-do activity we moved to Sunday from Saturday so that we could enjoy a nice tandem ride in the morning, followed by a motorcycle ride in the afternoon fell on the nicest day of the weekend. In a word: bummer.
But, what are ya gonna do? While ignoring the lovely blue skies with lots of puffy white clouds, Debbie went about cleaning inside the house while I tackled the yard work. Of course, by the time we’d both finished doing all of those honey-do’s, we were both pretty whooped. I think I went through three different t-shirts given that we were once again revisited by relatively high humidity coupled with relatively hot weather. It wasn’t so bad in the breezeway when there was actually a breeze blowing, but it was a bit of a wake-up call that we were in the south and it was summer. Not an, “OMG, we’re back in Statesboro” kind of hot day, and not even a true mid-July hot day… just a Mayish hot, somewhat humid day in Georgia so that’s really not all that bad, come to think of it. Hey, what can I say, my most recent weekend point of reference was Key West and the cloudy day we enjoyed on Saturday!!
In addition to cutting grass, pulling weeds, trimming back plants from around the air conditioning compressors and planning for the installation of some additional Crepe Myrtle tree’s to fill-in the now tree-less landscape behind the house and around our Tennessee field stone retaining wall, I also began to assess the amount of work it was going to take to replace all of the dry-rotted sills and brick molding on our 23-year old windows; ugg. I’ve done the brick mold on most of the front windows, but didn’t need to mess with the sills. Not so on the back of the house and, by now, I suspect even the front. That ought to keep me busy for a few days. The house is also screaming for a total repaint and some new doors: front, side, garage side entry and french doors at the kitchen: ouch, that’s gonna leave a mark. And then there’s the wood floors that need to go down on first floor plus the master bathroom.
Yeah, probably a good thing we didn’t run off and make an offer on that other house: this one’s definitely not market ready. Of course, I suspect all of the costs associated getting it to where it’s market ready are a 1:1 trade-off on value, maybe even a bit less than that, i.e., if we did nothing and sold “as is” we could probably keep the price lower instead of trying to recoup at the higher price-point to off-set our costs.
After messing around with all of that stuff and running a few errands I made it back in time to kiss Debbie goodbye as she headed off to buy groceries. I was very tempted to grab a mountain bike and head over to the local trails when I suddenly realized that I’d just told Debbie to take the truck since it had finally started to rain (a brief sun shower to be honest) and getting in and out with an umbrella and groceries was a lot easier with the truck than her little S2000.! Doh…
Yeah, it wasn’t exactly a long ride over to the trails, but now that the roads were wet that wasn’t an attractive option. So, as I looked around the garage my eyes fell on my BMW R1100S and I was reminded that it hadn’t been running as smoothly as it should. What it needed was probably a minor valve adjustment, so I had a final project for the afternoon!
Doing a valve adjustment on a BMW boxer motor isn’t really an overly complex thing, it just takes a lot of patience and finesse with the 3mm allen wrench. After popping off the carbon cylinder head cover-covers, pulling out the spark plugs so the engine can be rotated to find TDC, and then removing the cylinder head covers it’s just a matter of getting both sets of intake and exhaust values properly gapped. The challenge becomes achieving the right balance, as any adjustment to one value influences the tension of the other three. It usually takes all of 5-minutes to do this when you’re having a good day. I was having only an OK day so it took about 10-minutes per cylinder. After bolting everything back up the bike fired-up quite nicely and was noticeably running much smoother. I was looking forward to Monday’s ride to work so that I could truly appreciate the magic that a minor valve adjustment has on the performance of the BMW boxer.
I had the bike buttoned-up about the time that Debbie returned and after helping her in with the groceries I moved on to getting the motorcycles all put back in their “compact” parking configuration that allowed me to use the rest of the 3rd garage bay. After that, it was time to get cleaned up so we could drop her little red Honda S2000 off at Alan Cox automotive for routine service — remembering that we fired Hennesay Honda as our service provider after their pitiful performance on our last visit — and then Olde Towne for some dinner.
Back at home I had a little surprise for Debbie, but it was otherwise a pretty sedate evening. In fact, I’m not exactly sure what all I did after that? That’ll teach me to unwind with a few cold brewski’s on a Sunday night! Yes, I was still lamenting the missed opportunity on that lovely home over in Starr Lake. But, on the bright side, aside from not having a basement there’s not much about our home that we don’t like. In fact, short of a just a few houses that we’ve seen we’d pretty much have to build one to come close to recreating what we have and like about this house, i.e., handsome street presence, very large master suite, bath & closet with adjacent exercise / bonus room, our breezeway and veranda, my wonderful garage and our lovely back and side yard. Now, if we could just get everyone else in the neighborhood to take better care of their properties!!
More importantly, what we really need is more time and better weather for tandem cycling!