Stumbled across a very rare Santana tandem on Ebay that is also a very good deal with a Buy-it-Now price of $5k. Sadly, it was made for 6’2″ Howard Lindsay, founder and president of VyaTek and his 5’7″ tall wife Dawn: I’m only 5’8″ and Debbie’s a mere 5’2″.
Here’s the write-up for posterity:
This bike is a 1-of-a-kind Santana-Titus Full Suspension Tandem MTB.
This unique bike features a custom set of tubes featuring the patented ExoGrid® Technology that was provided via license to Santana and Titus Cycles. The bikes main tubes are constructed of the highly coveted titanium/carbon version of ExoGrid and were done in every possible location to demonstrate the ultimate in tandem bike frame technology.
It was built as a demonstration bike for the Interbike Trade Show by VyaTek Sports (vyatek.com) in support of both Titus Cycles and Santana Tandems.
This unique tandem was set to have a retail price of over $12,000.
VyaTek Sports was the owner of Titus Cycles and a technology provider to Santana Tandems and the bike was built specifically for VyaTek’s CEO, Howard Lindsay and his wife, Dawn. Howard is 6’2” tall (front seat) and Dawn is 5’7” tall (rear seat). With regards to sizing… the front would be a large… and the rear would be a medium. The wheel base is 69”.
Because the bike was built as a “Showbike Demonstrator”…it features the absolute best of components and hardware. This includes:
- Shimano 29 speed XTR group & derailleur’s with XT shifters & brake controls.
- Fox 36 Talas R Fork Assembly.
- Custom Titus Racer-X tandem geometry specific full-suspension system with custom Fox Float R shock with ProPedal Damping.
- Hadley tandem hubs and heavy duty alloy rims w/ Continental Town & Country street tires (26 x 2.1) which have less than 100 miles on them.
- Custom mechanically actuated disk brakes, front and rear with massive 10” rotor (rear) and 8” (front).
- FSA Carbon Cranks (front and rear).
- Chris King head-set.
- Thomson Alloy Seat Posts (front & rear).
- Titanium rail saddles, Titus (front) and Terry (rear).
- Forged alloy stems (front & rear) with Titus alloy hi-rise (1”) bars. Profile Bar Ends (front).
- Cateye Mity 8 Computer
- Jandd Truck & Luggage System
This bike has 2,988 miles on it and has been ridden off-road exactly 3 times. The bike has been used a commuter bike by Howard (who is 54 years old) and his wife as the only owners. They are building a custom 3 person road tandem for use with their 6-year old grandson and need to liquidate this highly desirable fully-custom, 1 of a kind masterpiece.
Shipping is set at $200… This is an estimated cost. We may need to recalculate once we receive the winning bidders shipping info. Local Pickup is welcome. If you have any questions please feel free to send us a message.