Back in November I posted an entry that introduced readers to a new weekly public radio program called the Outspoken Cyclist hosted by long-time friend Diane Lees of HubBub Custom Bicycles in Cleveland, Ohio. It airs every Saturday evening at 5:30 on WJCU and you can download shows after the fact from either the WJCU – Outspoken Cyclist webpage or at the iTunes Store.
Now that we’ve hit the doldrums of winter for the folks who live in the snow belt I thought I’d provide y’all a compendium of the interviews that have really scratched my itch as a bicycle equipment freak and someone who’s interested in the background and views of cycling industry icons. These “featured” interviews are typically aired during the first 30-minutes of the hour-long show, right on the heels of the show overview and other chit-chat between Diane and her co-host / producer Greg Priddy. The balance of the show gets into a variety of national cycling advocacy news items and local cycling issues for the Cleveland-based network’s primary audience.
Again, the interviews (with descriptions by Greg Priddy) I’ve listed here are simply the ones I found to be the most interesting, which is not to say the others weren’t uninteresting… as that’s not the case. In fact, all of the interviews have been interesting and informative but we all have our biases and preferences in life, e.g., history vs. fiction, road racing vs. oval track, beer vs. wine, right side of the bed vs. left, etc. I’ve even found myself enjoying Cleveland’s local cycling news and guests, as it’s all very interesting. So, that said, if you’re looking for something to listen to on your iPod or MP3 player while riding the rollers or your trainer, these might do the trick…. (and be sure to listen to Gabe Mirkin’s interview…it COULD be life altering! Beware, it’s like drinking out of a firehose, but well-worth it.)
- Don Walker, Builder & Founder of NAHBS – 1/29/2011: Diane talks with Don Walker of Don Walker Cycles, and the founder of the North American Handmade Bicycle Show, taking place February 25th – 27th in Austin, Texas. Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
- Craig Calfee, Calfee Design & Bamboosero – 1/22/2011: The world of cycling is full of innovators, and this week we have a long talk with one of the best in the business. Craig Calfee has designed bike frames in both carbon fiber and bamboo. You’ll be amazed at his journey, and what he’s doing for the world today. Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
- Dr. Gabe Mirkin, Nutrition & Fitness – 1/15/2011: First up is Dr. Gabe Mirkin, who is a retired physician, dedicated cyclist, (big time tandem enthusiast) and someone who is passionate about nutrition as it relates to health and fitness. After you hear Dr. Mirkin speak, you’ll want to sign up for his free email newsletter at drmirkin.com. Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
- Gary Fisher, On Gary Fisher – 1/8/2011: Wasting no time in upping the ante in 2011, this week’s Outspoken Cyclist brings you a glimpse into the recesses of the twisted mind that came up with the idea of riding bicycles off-road, and then invented the mountain bike. Of course, we’re talking about none other than Gary Fisher, and we’ve got him for the first half of this week’s show. Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
- Diane Lees, “The” Outspoken Cyclist – 1/1/2011: The Outspoken Cyclist takes an opportunity to get better acquainted with our host, Diane Lees. Diane has been interviewing personalities from all corners of the cycling universe for some time now, and it occurred to me that we should find out more about what she brings to these interviews. Although she’s an artist and writer, Diane isn’t your typical artist or writer; and although she’s a bicycle dealer, Hubbub Custom Bicycles isn’t your average bike shop. Give a listen, and learn about this unique and creative individual on today’s Outspoken Cyclist. Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
- Richard Schwinn, Waterford/Gunnar – 12/18/2010 This week’s main guest is someone who arguably knows more about all facets of building bicycles than most of us have forgotten, and he’s willing to share his knowledge and opinions freely in a very engaging manner. In addition to being a descendant of Ignaz Schwinn (founder of the Schwinn Bicycle Company), Richard Schwinn is co-founder of Waterford Precision Cycles, and we’ve got him on today’s show. Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
- Steven Bilenky, Bilenky Cycle Works- 10/9/2010: Join Diane as she speaks with Steven Bilenky of Bilenky Cycle Works about frames and the upcoming Philly Bike Expo. Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
- Jacquie Phelan, MTB Legend – 9/11/2010: The Outspoken Cyclist with Diane Lees features an interview with renowned mountain biker and three-time NORBA champion, Jacquie Phelan. Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
- Ben Serotta, Serotta Cycles – 9/4/2010: The Outspoken Cyclist with your host, Diane Lees makes its debut on WJCU. Diane interviews Ben Serotta of Serotta Cycles. Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
By the way, in checking out all of Diane’s interviews on the Web I stumbled over what I believe is a predecessor radio talk show to The Outspoken Cyclist on a commercial radio station WKBN-AM called Bicycling Today that ran from April to August 2010. There are also some great interviews archived out on the Web from that series that are well-worth a listen. You can find them HERE; they include:
- John Burke, Trek Bicycles
- Rob Vandermark, Seven Cycles
- Grant Peterson, Rivendell Cycles
- Rick Vosper, formerly of Specialized, Veltec Sports & now with Airbone
- You may recall a blog entry we did on Rick’s Bike 2.0 Blog, which he sadly sunset upon taking his position at Airborne.