Let me start off with a sincere thanks for the folks who keep us in mind and share their event updates; we love seeing how rallies continue to thrive and being able to share that information with our friends in the tandem cycling community.
So, that said, we’ve been busy collecting updates and searching the web for other rally dates / locations and have actually gotten a pretty good start on our 2012 Rally Calendar hosted on www.thetandemlink.com.
Here are just a couple highlights of some of the more recent updates we’ve received:
ALABAMA TANDEM WEEKEND, 23-25 MARCH – Tim & Bev Presley wrote to let us know that they will be hosting this year’s Alabama Tandem Weekend in Sylacauga, Alabama. Instead of a webpage, they have stood-up a Facebook group page that you can find HERE.
As noted in their Email, the agenda & ride plans are starting to take shape; tenatively:
- Friday would be 40 to 50 mile options taking riders north up past the Kymulga Grist Mill. We would arrive back in town early enough to have an ice cream at the Blue Bell Ice Cream Parlor. Blue Bell also offers the opportunity for tours.
- Saturday would head east out highway 148 and back around through Hollins and Weogufka with a possible longer option coming through the Marble Valley. We could then all gather at one of several options for dinner together.
- Sunday, the route goes west to Cedar Creek, passing over the bridge there with a lovely view of the Coosa River backwater. By taking a figure 8 route, we can incorporate several long downhills that would allow for long fast cruising.
When making reservations at the host hotel, the Jameson Inn in Sylacauga (256-245-4141) remember to ask for the Alabama Tandem Weekend Rate of $55. Local eateries include Giovanni’s Italian Restaurant, The Marble City Grill, Golden Rule Bar-B-Que, Peking Garden, and a host of fast food options.
THE CANADIAN TANDEM RALLY 2012, 25-28 MAY – David & Brenda Vandevelde wrote to let us know that they’d once again be hosting a tandem rally north of the border in Perth Ontario this May. Again, from their Email:
Please join us for The Canadian Tandem Rally on May 25 -28 2012 in Perth Ontario, voted the most picturesque town in the province!
- Friday will feature an afternoon ride followed by a Wine & Cheese get together.
- Saturday morning we take a ride to Smith’s Falls for a picnic lunch at Victoria Park by the Rideau Canal.We return back to the hotel for a banquet at the nearby Perth Golf & Country Club.
- On Sunday we have breakfast together and ride to Lanark for a picnic lunch. For those joining us for the extra day, we ride out to Wheelers Pancake House & Sugar Camp for lunch.
Space is limited this year! Please watch the website for more information and on-line registration soon for this all-inclusive event.
FART XIX – FALL ALLEGANY RALLY FOR TANDEMS, 12-14 OCTOBER – Yes, it’s really called FART and has held every fall for the past 18 years which makes it the longest running off-road tandem rally, at least in the US and perhaps anywhere.
And this year Brian & Karen Managan have also launched a new website for FART: http://www.fartmtb.org where you can find all kinds of neat information, videos, maps, etc. Here’s a brief extract from their Home Page:
Since 1994 when Chuck and Bonnie suggested a weekend campout … with bikes … we’ve been returning to Allegany State Park EVERY Fall to enjoy the forested trails of the Art Roscoe trail system, the Red House Lake area, Thunder Rocks, evening campfires and toasted marshmallows, GREAT dish-to-pass dinners, night rides and a growing list of the coolest tandem mountain bikers on the planet!
We have lots of veterans who return year and year, and we are always welcoming new teams to the fold nearly every year. We’ve been doing this so long, we’ve literally watched some of the stokids grow up on our trails from babies in trailers to captaining their own tandems.
Although the riding isn’t “technical”, we have fun riding opportunities for “Easy-Goers” as well as hard-core bike junkies and everyone in between.
Fear not! If you enjoy a little dirt thrown in with your tandeming, THIS is the weekend for you!
Bring a Dish-to-Pass for Saturday night, and anything else you need for the weekend.
Your Hosts – Brian and Karen Managan